This is an old revision of the document!
Mentor: J.H. Schween
The backscattered light from an emitted laserbeam is used to measure wind speed. Analysis of doppler shift gives wind speed along the beam. Combination of several beams allows an estimate of the three components of the wind vector. Amount of received backscattered light allows calculation of backscatter coefficient.
Instrument at Forschungszentrum Jülich on the roof of the IEK-8 (Institut für Energie- und Klimaforschung: Troposphäre).
- If you are interested in receiving data please contact the instrument mentor J.H. Schween.
- Recent plots can be found in the Quicklook archive
The figure shows a velocity azimuth display (VAD): vectors give direction and speed of horizontal wind at time and height. Vectors pointing upward indicate south wind, vectors pointing to the right indicate west wind. Color shading gives the backscatter coefficient.
|Wavelength / nm||150nm|
|Repetition Rate / s||1/15000, 1, 300, 900,||laser pulses, avg.beam, Doppler Beam swing (DBS), Velocity azimuth display (VAD)|
|resolution / m||30||range resolution (adjustable from 15m onward)|
|Field-of-View / deg||360 x 90||free alingment of the beam|
|maximum range / m||9000||adjustable|
|velocity resolution / m/s||0.0382||adjustable|
|max velocity / m/s||19||adjustable|
|Size / cm³||~ 150 x 60 x 70||estimated|
|Average Power consumption / W||140/250 ||(wo/w Heating/cooling) [The power supply shall provide 600W]|
|Weight / kg||110||with transport case|
|Instrument||streamline V4 Instrument #17|
- doppler beam swing (DBS) with 3 beams ([azi,ele] = [0,90],[0,75],[90,75]) every 5 minutes
- velocity azimuth display scan (VAD) ([azi,ele]i = [i*10,75]) every 15minutes
- vertical staring during rest of time (dt=1.67sec)